Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Discovering Macro

In high school I was on the yearbook staff, and much to the chagrin of my schoolmates, I was constantly snapping photos of them. I'm sure they thank me when they flip through those books and see all that bad hair. A big turning point also came in high school, when a boyfriend gave me an Olympus OM-1 that his father was going to throw away. It was my first SLR and I still use it today. It opened up a whole new world of control and dimension that blew my mind.

I continued to pursue journalism in college at the University of South Carolina. I got lots of practice as a reporter and copy editor, but there were fewer opportunities for the more artistic side - photography and graphic design. Though, I must credit U.S.C. with creating a very balanced program in spite of what I just said. I took every graphic design course the journalism school offered, and took a single course in photography from the art school. This course opened my eyes even further. My teacher showed us how we could turn our lens around to get a macro effect, and after I took this photo, I was hooked.



It's not the greatest thing ever, but in this photo I saw a style I had never before experienced. It was bold, and graphic, and suited my artistic sensibilities perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment