Monday, April 21, 2008

The Steel City

We moved to Pittsburgh for robots. Well, my husband got a job designing robots at Carnegie Mellon, so we moved and I started working for The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, designing the front page of the features section. I grew so much there as an artist, and at such a fast rate. I worked with great folks who were willing to just let me run with things, and I think the results were terrific. I loved all the deadlines, because I never had to dwell on an assignment for too long. Sometimes it didn't feel like long enough, but that's newspaper for you. I think the Trib is where I really began to recognize graphic design as art. Sometimes I made what you see on the front page...other times I just combined it or arranged it, but I think the end result is still art, in a somewhat ephemeral form.

No comments:

Post a Comment