Wednesday, September 10, 2008

California Camping Adventure, Part XI


The day before we left a group of campers appeared with horses, five of which had got loose and were running around. It was entertaining to watch the mayhem, which would have been short-lived if it wasn't for this particular horse. We watched the poor guy try to catch this mare all day long. She would let him get close and then run away. Eventually the rider chased her out of sight, but we saw him right before we packed out and he reported that after many, many hours, he did catch the stubborn mare.

Our last day we woke up early and began to tear down our camp. Our packer/guide arrived around 7:00 A.M., a little ahead of schedule, but we were ready. Here you can see our little mule train, led by our guide in the front. That's my husband on the beautiful black horse, King. I was hoping to get grand photos of the mule train twisting down the mountain switchbacks, but by that point, I had figured out I needed to hold on to my horse with two hands going downhill. The ride down was a bit more stressful than the ride up, for both me and the horse. It made me nervous when the horse seemed nervous so needless to say, I was more than ready to end my second ever horse ride. I was sad when it was all done with, though, and we ate lunch with my grandpa at the restaurant to extend our stay a little while longer. We said our goodbyes, and drove out of the mountains so quickly and into the drier Nevada hills. It was such a shock to the senses after being in lush Kennedy Meadows. It was only a matter of an hour or so before I was missing it terribly. I can't even express how grateful I have been for this trip. It really was a perception-altering vacation, where nothing looks quite like it did before you had that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment