Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Meadow Step By Step

I don't sketch a lot because I'm always afraid it will be too good and then I'll never be able to reproduce it. So I just get basic shapes and then go for it. I tried horizontal first, then vertical, and then went back to horizontal.

This is definitely not step one but I was so discouraged the first day I worked on this that I nearly quit. My tree outlines didn't look like trees and I had no idea how to approach the grass. But, I did try again after a night away from it and liked what I was saw.

The ferns took quite a while since I drew them as separate elements in Photoshop and then sort of arranged them together and repeated them to make bushes. I think I had more than 200 layers when I was done, mostly of clover, ferns and flowers.

I decided the yellow flowers should be covering the meadow, but I still needed to add purple ones, as in Stephenie Meyer's description of the scene. I wasn't sure how to do that, and after trying a few different ones out, I gave up for a few days and thought about it.

It finally came to me that they could be just like the yellow ones. But it still wasn't quite there yet. I also looked a lots of photos of the Hoh Forest in Washington to get an idea of what the forest looked like. I decided I was missing that middle layer of foliage, that comes from little trees and large bushes.

After giving it some more thought, I came to the conclusion that I needed a lot more purple flowers. I tweaked a lot of little things, like adding shadows of leaves and ferns in the shadowed distance. Finally I got to the final product (see in the post below).

2 comments:

  1. 200 layers?!?! that's crazy! it paid off though, the textures really make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was seriously almost too much for my computer to handle. And it took 3 or 4 minutes to save.
    I need some more memory, for sure.

    ReplyDelete