Saturday, February 7, 2009

ETSY PLUG - archdelineator

I was starting to think this never really happened - that someone would see something cool in a Treasury and actually buy it. I mean, if you look, you can find endless awesome items that you'd LIKE to buy, but most of us have realistic budgets that don't lend themselves to frequent impulse purchases. But when I saw this Treasury by offset, (some time ago) my Intoxicated No. 4 print was cozying up to Archdelineator's "Sunset Flight." And I thought, "This may be the coolest Treasury ever."


I had to wait a little while, but I kept my eye on "Sunset Flight" until Christmas.
It looked even better in person, if you can believe it.

Zack's stencil paintings are on substantial wood panels, and they come with a groove cut into the back so you can hang them right away. They also stand up very well, and it did so on my end table for a while, but I did eventually hang it in m kitchen with some of my other favorites.




Here it is with my "Squareblock" paintings and Heather Young's "Lee Lee's Sweet Ice Tea." I smile every time I walk past this grouping.

I'm not sure why I'm so drawn to the airplane imagery, but they are my favorite among Zack's subjects. This one is "Air Traffic Control (danger zone)."


Zack designs and hand cuts all his own stencils. I didn't know I liked the look of stencils until I saw Archdelineator's work. Zack steps them up by making sure no two paintings look alike. His textured backgrounds and the angles and compositions he uses make each piece unique. A good example is in his paintings of leaves. If you look closely, you can see a single leaf stencil that looks like it may have been used in both "Red Rustling Leaves" and "Icy Leaves Stencil." But with the different colors and sizes and angles, they are two very distinct works.

I also really love Archdelineator's stencils of trees. I like trees in general, I suppose, and his remind me of the Pacific Northwest, though they could be any needled sort of tree anywhere.

Of course I love Zack's work because the stencils are themselves very graphic, and I am drawn to that. But he adds more graphic dimension with how he frames his subjects. Like the red stripes in "Stag Revisited."


I love the red I see in a lot of Zack's work, but he also has a subdued side. "Desert Night Stencil" has such a serene feel that only the sparseness of the desert can provide.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this. Zacks work is brilliant. I like the grunge feel about them and the textures look like they would be a real treat to behold in person.
    Your display on your wall makes me smile as well. This is very cool.
    I'm going to check out his shop on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, its a great post. I really appreciate the depth of your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lucky to have my working hanging in such a lovely collection...very intriguing work he has...

    ReplyDelete