Friday, February 27, 2009

First Freelance Project - Complete!


The Guernsey Area Economic Development and Tourist Corporation (the town I lived in before I moved to Wheatland) knew I used to be a graphic designer before I came to Wyoming and asked me to do a travel brochure for the town. I was excited to do my first freelance graphics job, and also to have a way to showcase the photography I have been doing of the area.

It was also interesting to learn about the place in detail, from a local historian, and to sift through hundreds of old photos of the area. Above you can see Guernsey in the 1930s, nearby Hartville in the 1920s, and the big picture at the bottom is of the miners at Sunrise in 1926. The mine closed in 1980, and since the entire town - houses, hospital, school and all - was owned by the mine, it became a ghost town. Someone owns it privately now, but one of these days I'm going to get out there and see what there is to photograph.


The inside is peppered with local attractions from Boot Hill to the Guernsey State Park and museum, to Register Cliff and the nearby National Historic Site of Fort Laramie. The only photo in the brochure I didn't take (besides the historical ones) is that spectacular sunset on the golf course. Not exactly something I could get in the winter. Thank goodness for stock photography.


The back panel is info and a map (which I also very crudely made for the first time). I just sent this off to the printer and I can't wait to see it in all its glossy prettiness.

3 comments:

  1. this is awesome! you did a stellar job...i'm sure you'll see more work from this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. You did a great job. I have a pile of western state brochures from the 50's that were in my mother-in-laws basement in Casper. I am working at making fabric transfers of them and making a quilt with them.

    It is fun to see what you did. I am sure more jobs will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Vickie! So cute and clever! I LOVE it! Great job...seriously.

    ReplyDelete