Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ode to a Blue Ceiling


This painting is "Ode to a Blue Ceiling." I did it last night. There is a story. Let me explain.

A few months ago, I painted the master bedroom a light green and we moved in. The first night in our new bedroom, we lay in bed, looking up, and Brian swore the ceiling was blue. I had broken the switch to the overhead light as soon as we bought the house, and had painted the room without it, and I just assumed the ceiling looked a little dark because it was in shadow.
I denied that the ceiling was not white, since I had just spent a lot of time with my face very close to it as I taped off the room and painted it. For days, Brian kept reiterating that the ceiling was blue and I kept denying it. Finally, I noticed the blue paint on the top of the ceiling fan. I had been *gasp* wrong.

I wanted to paint the ceiling white. I'm not sure why, but to me, the universe seems all wrong if a ceiling is any other color than white. It DID seem kind of dark in there, even after we fixed the light. But we had moved in our boxes of clothes and our bed and there was no way I was either moving it out or painting with it all in the way. The ceiling remained blue.
Time passed and I began to worry the room I had chosen for a studio would be too small for the furniture I wanted to use. Bri suggested that I take the master bedroom for my studio, since it was much larger. I mulled it over for a few weeks and decided that yes, that really was a good idea. So we recently moved our things into the guest bedroom, giving me access to the ceiling again.


Once I applied the first stroke of white paint, the ceiling looked shockingly blue. Like "How did I NOT realize that" blue. So I did a painting to commemorate my denial that anything was wrong with the ceiling. In the basement I found the can of paint the previous owners had used for the ceiling. So I painted my canvas flat ceiling paint white and the rings are the old, blue ceiling color. I plan on putting it up in my studio once I move all my stuff in. When I look at it, I hope I will remember to REALLY look at things rather than just assume they are what they should be.

2 comments:

  1. That is too funny! I hate those moments when I have to admit I was wrong...(especially to *him*)...lol! Oh and congrats on the master suite, not a bad deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your new painting, it's beautifully simple. great story, have fun in your new studio!

    ReplyDelete