Friday, March 20, 2009

Birthday Girl


Today is my birthday. I took these self-portraits a few days ago, and they seemed the most fitting thing to share with you. This is me, late at night, with no makeup and a ratty old shirt that I love. Me, just as I am. I didn't add any of the flare you see or alter these in anyway.


I woke up early this morning when my husband left and laid in bed for a while, thinking about all the things I experienced in the past year - all the trips I've taken, the great pictures I've shot, the small victories I've achieved. I dreaded last year's birthday and it was a very unspecial day, so I decided this year would be different. There are no parties anymore, no cake with candles, but there is so much to celebrate. It's ok to do it quietly. Instead of thinking, "I'm one year older," I have vowed to think, "I made it one more year and for that I am grateful."

I used a macro lens to take these, which made this quite an imprecise art. I love some of the things it captured, though. The above is my favorite, I think. It's jut my neck and my chin, but something in it seems special. I suppose it's because I would never intentionally frame a shot that way, indeed I think I've never looked at that part of myself quite that way. That's the thing about photography, macro in particular - you can see things through the lens that you couldn't see with your naked eye. And sometimes, the lens sees more than you could even imagine. Sometimes what it captures is a beautiful surprise.

Sometimes it shows you another truth, just like deciding to think a different way is yet another truth.

9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!!! I hope this coming year is a super fabulous one for you. :)

    I like your photos too, just the way you are. Those are the best kind.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to you... I hope you have a nice one. You and my son share the same birthday. He is snowboarding in Park City as I am writing this. This is the first birthday he has not spent at home. I guess it is a sign of things to come. However I am sure he is having an incredible day which I hope you have too!

    I enjoyed your late night photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!! (belated)

    Very lovely self portraits, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely post! and Super Happy Birthday (albeit a day or so late)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post and beautiful shots of a beautiful you!
    Happy Birthday (plus one day) !!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge Birthday wishes to youo Birthday Girl, may all your dreams come tue in the year ahead (so make sure you dream BIG)! Love Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the lights spots and lens flare in the portraits... always a fav. I hope you had a great birthday!

    What Nikon do you shoot with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday, you are stunning!

    ReplyDelete