Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Meaning of Art

"I believe that all art has as its ultimate goal, the union between the material and the spiritual, the human and the divine. I believe that to be the reason for the very existence of art."

--- Michael Jackson, 1993




I was watching Oprah yesterday while dusting the living room and she was reviewing an interview she had done with Michael Jackson in 1993. While his music never really moved me personally, I am well aware that it affected millions around the world, and I have always thought it was sad that he never had much of a childhood and tried so hard to make up for it later in life. After doing the Moonwalk for Oprah on a stage in his Neverland home, he sat down and she asked him what he hoped he was accomplishing in life, and he said the above. I thought it was a really insightful sentiment, one that put words to a feeling I feel when I see/hear/experience art that moves me. I love to capture, with my camera, the fleeting beauty of life, and that is such a human impulse - to want to hold the divine and covet it. It's a bit selfish, until you set it free for others to experience. That marriage - of selfish human impulse and the divine beauty of this life - well that's the best definition of art I've ever come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment