Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Short Vacation From Photography



I have a confession to make. I didn't take any photos on my most recent trip. No one is more surprised than myself - I did drag my camera all the way there and back. But I think I needed a vacation. Taking photos just comes naturally on every trip I take, but this time I didn't feel that need that I normally feel. It's an effort, getting a good shot, or even a halfway decent one, and it sort of felt good to shut off that part of my brain for the week. I've never before wanted to or felt like I should, so it was a strange feeling (or lack of feeling). A bit of it has to do with the fact that I pulled my hamstring the week before we left, while crossing a creek to shoot some pictures. It was making it hard to get around, much less contort to get just the right angle for a shot. So, with an ease that I found strange, I just set the camera down and enjoyed my vacation in every other aspect.


But, don't worry, I have photos from my trip to Yellow Springs from last October that I haven't shared. I had posted the ones I took in town starting here, but I also spent a day at Clifton Gorge, a 269-acre preserve of Ohio's beautiful forests. So, for the next day or two, I'll share some of those pix. And just to let you know, my hammie is feeling much better. I think in another week I'll be as good as new, and back to taking pictures.

2 comments:

  1. We all need breaks, even from things we love! Hope you keep healing that hammie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm surprised to read this, because I felt the same way when I was in France! I didn't take nearly as many photos as I thought I would and couldn't believe my lack of ambition. As I was on vacation, I didn't want to get up at dawn, as for dusk, we were already at that point into a bottle of wine and I didn't want to pound the pavement looking for shots. I needed the rest more than I thought I did.

    Sometimes you just need to relax, take in the moment and not worry about capturing it all in a photo.

    Hope you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete