Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Gratitude

My internet wanderings yesterday led me to a unique blog project called  "Spring: Inspiration in Bloom."

It's a brand-new venture, so I don't know much about it, but I liked what I read on their site:

"Spring’s primary mission is to infuse inspiration into the lives of other creative and passionate individuals, to bring together like-minded individuals within a space that is focused on the journey involved with bringing dreams to life, and the reality that accompanies following a unique vision."

I believe the posts will be in video form, as conversations among the four ladies who are collaborating on this project.  They are looking for ideas and thoughts on the topic of gratitude for their first video, airing the week of Thanksgiving.  If you have input to share, visit them and leave a comment or send an e-mail.  I'm curious to see this vision come together.

While visiting, I couldn't help but think about the theme of gratitude.  The first cohesive thought that popped into my head was that gratitude is the difference between happy and unhappy people. Every unhappy person has a reason (sometimes many, very good reasons) to be unhappy, but that gets in the way of appreciating what they have, right now.

I feel like I'm a pretty positive person, who rarely has a 'bad' day, but I wasn't always like that. It was learning to let go of the bad things, and to be appreciative - grateful - for the good things, large and small, that made all the difference. If you take every instance that crosses your path, and find the good in it, and if there is no good in it, let it go, I think you can train yourself to feel grateful, and as a result, happier.



This image is one that came to mind whilst pondering the topic.  I took this in New Orleans, behind the Habitat House we were working on.  There was lots of debris on the block, and behind this house, but even so, this pretty little vine was growing - no, thriving - amidst it all.  The way the sun shines on it, leaving the debris in the shadow, reminds me that we can embrace the positive in this world and leave the negative behind.

I think for the days until Thanksgiving, I will post about that which I am thankful for.  It's a long list, but today I begin with God, for giving me the power to choose how I will react to all the things that happen to me in a day, and for the ability to pass on to Him all the negativity I encounter so that I may be relieved of it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for mentioning Spring, & for your insightful contribution. I love the image you posted, too, of the thriving vine amongst debris. See - there's always beauty around us & something to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete