Monday, December 21, 2009

My Grandmother's Christmas Ornaments

This week I wanted to share some of my favorite Christmas ornaments. They are all so special to me, collected or handed down through my life. I look forward to decorating the tree every year because it's like taking a stroll through memory lane. There are no distractions and there is no hurry so I am free to reminisce.


All of the photos today are of ornaments handmade by my Grandma Bonnie.  I grew up with a set just like this on my tree, made by a great-aunt, and when I left home my mom revealed that there was another set, nearly the same, made by my grandmother.  I nearly did backflips then (or maybe I nearly cried, instead) but you get the idea - these are precious to me.  They are all made of felt and whip-stitched, with sweet details on each.  I've only photographed four, but there are nearly a dozen to remind me of the time and care my grandmother spent on making beautiful things.  They not only remind me of her, but they remind me that every little project I do, everything I make or write or photograph, is a legacy, that may one day sum up my memory to a family member.  These remind me to take care and pride in all the things I do.


5 comments:

  1. I just love these, and agree with you regarding the memories each ornament holds. One day I will pull mine out and decorate again. (Haven't for a few years now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful ornaments. I love the elephant.
    A great lesson you've taken from them too. Being sentimental is a great benefit to the world. We are the keepers of history.
    :)
    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are just so adorable!

    Sentiments are far greater than commercialized, sparkly ones you got from your local store. I mean, what kind of history is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful decorations! I like Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer very much :)) It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be getting tired of me commenting! One of my favorite ornaments is one my little sister, Vicky gave to me one year. It is the elephant from 'Horton Hears A Who.' She knows that it is one of my favorite children's books, so when she saw it at Hallmark, it was a no-brainer. How funny that we both have elephants as one of our favorite Christmas ornaments. Perhaps we are kindred spirits? Ya think, Diana Barry? ;-P

    ReplyDelete