Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Vintage Ornaments


Equally as precious to me are the vintage ornaments that came from my other grandmother.  These actually reside with my parents still, but I grew up with them and I see them every year right after Christmas.  They just don't make things that look like these anymore - little dioramas and mirrors and atomic-looking stars.  These definitely make me nostalgic for the mid-century - a time I didn't even live through.  Strange, maybe, but I think I'm not the only one.

My grandparents used to run a dimestore in the town I'm from, and after it went out of business, I remember going through the contents of a shed out back with my folks.  It had been where they kept the seasonal decorations.  There were life-sized cardboard cutouts of Santa and huge window banners that were fifties and fabulous.  I was only a teenager and, though I was drawn to these things, I didn't have the foresight to see that I'd one day want those things (despite space limitations).  As an adult I buy a lot of things and I get rid of a lot of things, but there are only a few items that I look back on and wish I had held on to.  Those store decorations were one of them.  So every year when I see these vintage ornaments, I feel both happy and sad, thinking of the '50s sweetness of our favorite Christmas ornaments and t.v. specials and songs, that never go out of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment