Thursday, January 21, 2010

Kittredge Gravesite


I had been looking forward to visiting Cypress Gardens in the winter, when the alligators hibernate.  Every other time I had been there, I wanted to walk the trails, but every time I tried, I'd see an alligator not too far from the bank, and decide it wasn't really safe.  Everyone says that they are more afraid of you than you are of them, but I've also been taught that wild animals are unpredictable from time to time. 

So grandpa and I walked the beautiful trails in January, and happened upon the gravesite of the Kittredge family, who had purchased the land, planted it into beautiful gardens, and deeded it to local government as a park upon their deaths.  I had no idea the site would be so grand.  That cross is huge - maybe twelve feet tall - and surrounded by a beautiful low brick wall.  The way the light filtered through the trees and onto the grass made it seem like such a lovely and peaceful place to spend eternity.

7 comments:

  1. A beautiful place to share with your Grandfather. How nice that they gave the area as a park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! It sounds so strange, living in Vancouver BC, to read that you've seen alligators on your walks. Yikes! Much scarier than a bear, but I'd love to see one....from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is also a family name in my family... is it yours, too? Maybe we are cousins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very peaceful indeed! Did you see any hibernating gators along the way?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sMac - I'm of no relation, sorry to say.

    Pinecone and Heather - The alligators hibernate in winter, in little caves they have dug into the bank. They access them from underwater, so you don't know where they are, but they stay put when the temps are around freezing. And I'd have to disagree...bears are way scarier. I can't even get a good night's sleep when camping out West, for fear of waking up to a bear snuffling the tent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK... well, we are blog-cousins, then. :)

    ReplyDelete