Monday, January 25, 2010

Snowshoeing



The day before I left to visit South Carolina, Brian and I headed west an hour to the mountains and the national forest, to try out our new snowshoes.  We decided to venture out over a side road that was covered in a few feet of snow, since clearly no one had been out and about recently.  It was lined with little pine trees, and led into a wooded cleft between two hills, so we were out of the wind but still in the sun, which made it very pleasant.  These images are of where we popped out of the woods, at the trailhead we had initially considered taking.  As you can see, there had been some fire damage, and it left the landscape quite bare. The wind was seriously kicking up there with nothing to buffer it, so we turned back, though in total we did 3 or 4 miles which seemed about right for our first trek.  It was a really fun way to get outside and explore, despite the depth of the snow, and we both enjoyed it quite a bit, so we'll be doing this often.

5 comments:

  1. Looks so beautiful! Vancouver could definitely use some of that snow.
    I've been snowshoeing a couple of times, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I've been imagining Vancouver covered in snow all winter. Have I been picturing it all wrong? I know I need to come see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victoria =)

    Thank you for your kind words =)

    These are such memorable shots. I especially like the first one.

    Hopefully I can visit the snow this weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I bet you get your work out doing that...and get to take in all the beautiful landscape...you're making Wyoming look pretty good...(even though I'm sure you're still freezing..lol!)

    ReplyDelete