Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ghost Town of Gebo, WY


Hello everyone!  I'm back from my birthday adventure.  I decided this year I didn't want to sit in the house on my birthday, and since it fell on a weekend, Bri and I planned a little 3-day weekend trip.  I wanted first and foremost to hit the hot springs in Thermopolis.  I can't even describe how fantastic it feels to soak in the hot water and feel the cold air on your skin...it is both relaxing and invigorating all at once.  Between soaks, we located the nearby ghost town of Gebo.


According to my research, Gebo was a coal mining town, opened in 1907 when the coal from the site was first shipped out on the railroad.  Mining was discontinued in 1938 and the town was bulldozed in 1971 by the Federal Bureau of Land Management.

In 1929 there were about 1,200 employees and families living in the area with over 600 employed in the coal mines of Gebo, though these few stone buildings are all that are left.  The place is clearly frequented by folks dumping their garbage and using it as a shooting range.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely 3 day vacay! And your ghost town pics are really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! What a great way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what an awesome place to explore...and a nice birthday treat!

    ReplyDelete