Friday, June 18, 2010

Rocky Mountain National Park: Raven


In most National Parks, when you see a vehicle pulled over on the side of the road, it means there is something to look at, usually an animal.  But sometimes they are just admiring the view or photographing a pretty vista.  I thought that was the case when we pulled over here, and after the car in front of us departed, we moved up and were headed back toward the main road.  Then I saw this magnificent bird, perched at eye level, in this tree.  He was actually hard to miss once we were along side of him.  "Back up!" I yelled to my husband, and he did (he is so great about maneuvering the truck so I can get the shots I want).  We turned off the radio and rolled down the window and I got four shots before this huge bird (nearly the size of an eagle) flew away.

I had been thinking about ravens the week before, when one of my blog friends posted that every artist has some sort of raven imagery.    "Not me," I thought at the time.  Now that I have been so close to such an incredible bird, I understand the attraction, the almost mystical, reverential feeling you get, and am just giddy to have gotten this shot.

2 comments:

  1. I love ravens! This is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot tell you how much I like coming over to see what you post. It is always lovely.

    ReplyDelete