Thursday, July 1, 2010

Alaska: A Walk In The Woods


I spent an afternoon hiking this trail that climbs a ridge over Lowell Point Beach.  It was very pretty at times.


It was rather sinister at other times.  There were several other folks taking this same trail, but I noticed I was the only person walking alone.  And nearly everyone had dogs.  Plural.  So even though I really wanted to make it to the top and get a photo at the scenic overlook, I chickened out about three-quarters of the way up when I saw some bear scat in the middle of the trail.  Seeing as most bear attacks happen to someone who is alone, and seeing as I am terrified of bears, I began to think maybe I was a bit foolish to be out and about by myself.  But, if you know me, you'll know it was no small feat of confidence to hike in bear-infested woods in the first place, so I'm chalking this one up as a victory.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Big difference in mood / feel between the two photos...and bears..no thank you! I'm thinkin' you made the right call there.

    ReplyDelete