Saturday, July 24, 2010

ETSY PLUG: mLee


Marissa Swinghammer was one of the first artists I noticed when I began browsing Etsy.  I loved the style of her multi-layer, multi-block, one of a kind woodcuts and knew I would end up with one on my walls.  But first I had to choose!  I find myself disabled by choice, on occasion, so I marked the mLee Etsy shop as one of my favorites and checked back often.  It was when I saw this piece, "Delicate,"  that I knew I would be placing an order, but not for myself.  This image reminded me of a particular friend so very much but I am always hesitant to buy art for my friends...I worry I'll choose something they don't love.  So I asked my friend which print she liked best from Marissa's shop.  It made me feel so good when she chose the same print I had in mind.


Well, it would be silly not to combine shipping charges, right?  So I also ordered the print that I had my eye on for a while, "Moonlit Garden."  I had changed my mind so many times between prints, but I am so glad I chose this piece.  It has a serene but energizing feel that I find so appealing. 


Marissa has an interesting variety of prints in her shop, and she works with so many different colors.  This one, "Growing Poppies," has such a playful feel to it.


I love the drama in this image.  The close-up of the hair and eye is hard to look away from.


In addition to strong shapes and colors, the multitude of layers in Marissa's prints are what give them such great life, and this one is no exception.  "Pines in Fall" makes my eyes move around and around in a spiral and I feel like I see it differently every time they come back around.  It conveys a complexity to me that echoes the complexity that can be found in all life when you take the time to look at things closely and from different angles.   Marissa has a talent for making simple things look complex and also for making complex things look simple.  That makes for art that is a pleasure to look at again and again. 

If you're interested in getting to know Marissa, visit her blog.
IMAGES: Marissa L. Swinghammer

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this well written and thoughtful write up.

    ReplyDelete