Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Old Growth Forest


While driving around in the national forest of the Snowy Range Mountains, we happened upon this very short stretch of road where the forest looked dramatically different from the rest of the woods we had seen.  The trees were bigger, there was more space between them, and the green undergrowth was thick like a carpet.  The place felt sacred. I'm not sure why this one small area has been left to mature, but I wish the entire forest looked like that.  My husband tells me that in designated 'wilderness areas,' where no motorized traffic is allowed, and also no logging, that the forest looks more like this. 

I just wanted to stay there, though there was no where to pull off the road and camp.  I wish I could really express the majesty of it, the true beauty of it.  These photos don't even come close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment