Thursday, October 21, 2010

Black-Eyed Susans


Every day in September and early October that I wasn't camping, I was working in my back yard garden.  When we moved in, we could tell it was supposed to be flowerbed, but, with the exception of a cluster of day lilies on the far edge, it was all weeds.  Last year I planted some Dutch iris bulbs, but the size of the bed really demanded a lot more.  So this fall, I planted perennials in the far back, like asters, daisies, coreopsis, and a poker plant.  Then in the center third I divided and moved some of the day lilies, and planted a variety of daffodils amongst them.  I will still need to deal with the front third in the spring, but it has the bulbs I planted last year so it won't be totally bare.  I tried to come up with a garden plan that would have something blooming continuously from spring to fall.  We'll see how well it works.  I will have more work to do in the spring, like I said, and I hope to plant some tulips in the far back, next fall.  But for now, it is actually looking like a flowerbed and that is enough of an accomplishment.

1 comment: