Monday, March 21, 2011

Birthday #31


Good morning, everyone!  Well, it happened.  I had another birthday!  I feel like I was just blogging about this, but it turns out it was an entire year ago!  My, how time flies. 

This year my husband was away from home, but thanks so some sweet friends I had a great day anyway.  Leah had me over to the ranch, and we went exploring on the ATV with our cameras, of course.  

We drove up over the grassy hills, to a little stand of aspens.  It all looked very barren, at first, but as we hiked around, we could see the first signs of spring in the buds on the trees and the hint of green growing up through the flattened grasses.  Even the cliffs that angled in around us looked alive with vibrant orange and green lichen.  We enjoyed a picnic lunch, along with the pound cake Leah made for me, by a little babbling stream.  The sunny spring weather made it so perfect.  We even saw the first butterfly of the year. 

There was a little bit of adventure to end the day.  We were riding back to the ranch house, when we came to a gate we had passed through earlier in the day.  It was wide open - not how we left it - and we knew some nearby bulls had jumped a fence and we didn't want them to be even more lost than they were.  So we hopped off the ATV and I pulled the gate closed while Leah inspected the lock.  We were of course worried that it had somehow popped open and that it was our fault!  But just as we were doing that, I spotted Leah's cowboy come rolling over the hill on his own ATV, trying to push the intruding cows back through the gate to the land they were supposed to be on.  We instantly realized that he had left the gate open, and the bulls were starting to trot toward it.  There I was - right were the bulls wanted to be - so I swung that gate back open and ran to the ATV and managed to not get run over by those huge, intimidating animals.  We had a good laugh about it over the steak dinner Leah and the cowboy made for me.

As for the photo, it wasn't taken yesterday, but I do always try to do a self-portrait on or close to my birthday.  I took this one about three weeks ago, out at the Greyrocks Reservoir.  The lake was frozen over as you can see, and lit by the golden afternoon sun.  I really like this image for some reason...it probably has to do with the fuzzy warm hat.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Victoria! Sounds like you had a fun and adventurous day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiest Birthday Victoria!
    This is an amazing photo. I love it.
    I hope the year ahead brings you many smiles and much inspiration!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday! looking forward to seeing what you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY anyway. Wish you a fantastic year ahead.
    Hugs & Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated B.Day :)

    Looks like you had fun :)

    Love the textural shots of the rocks.

    Have a lovely day, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belated happy birthday and beautiful photo! We are the same age:) Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, T.

    Bonnie - I had no idea we were the same age! I hope 31 is a good one for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a nearly perfect birthday! That one little green haven on your picnic would have lured me in too! Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete