Friday, April 22, 2011

Mt. Rushmore


Happy Friday, everyone!  I can't believe it has been a week since I was in the Black Hills of South Dakota, visiting Mt. Rushmore, with my mother-in-law.  Since I am moving back east, I wanted to make sure I saw this incredible monument before I left.  We traveled up through the town of Custer, S.D., so we didn't see Mt. Rushmore until we were right in front of it.  It sort of surprised me when I did see those faces, looming above me. 


We were shocked again when we came up the steps from the parking lot, and saw this mountain goat.  If the shock of seeing this gorgeous wild animal only a few feet away wasn't enough, then watching him graze right beside the "Keep Off Grass" sign was!  It had a whole lotta nerve. 


The carving was begun in 1927, and the faces were completed in 1939.  Each president's torso was also initially to be depicted, but lack of funding forced the project to end.  Still, the massive faces of some of this country's greatest leaders is quite impressive to view.


George Washington, 1st president


Thomas Jefferson, 3rd president


Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president


Abraham Lincoln, 16th president


"The purpose of the memorial is to communicate the founding, expansion, preservation, and unification of the United States with colossal statues of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt."
                                                                    - Sculptor Gutzon Borglum

5 comments:

  1. I've never been to Mt. Rushmore, but your photos make it look so incredible and impressive. I especially love the first one. And that goat! How amazing that it was just right there like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning a road trip to include Mt. Rushmore but when it will happen who knows.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos :)

    That is so funny about the goat, seriously, just ignoring the sign. (He! He!)

    Have a lovely Easter, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is impressive, ladies. I hope you both get to visit it one day. And when you do, I hope that mountain goat is there to greet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing pics Victoria. Hope one day I can see it for myself but while it doesn't happen, thanks for sharing and showing beautiful things about your country. Have a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! So glad to hear that you were able to enjoy Mount Rushmore before you moved away.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Katlyn Richter
    South Dakota Dept. Tourism
    www.travelsd.com

    ReplyDelete