Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Moth


While we were working in the yard one day, Brian came across this giant moth.  It was resting on a pile of limbs he was chopping up, and it blended in so well I am surprised he saw it.  He brought it over for me to see, and then gently placed it on the ground a safe distance away from our activity.



I photographed it right then.  When we checked on it an hour later, it was gone.

P.S.  Upon further research I think this is a Polyphemus Moth, and it feeds on the foliage of the trees.

4 comments:

  1. So cool!

    Your website is looking great, btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Cait! Sorry it has been a while since I checked in over at your place. One I get the two rooms upstairs plastered and painted, I'll be back to my regular routine and checking in again. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gorgeous!! I love it. I believe these moths only live for a few days in this state. If it was fluttering around the ground, it's possible she/he was near the end of its life. Looks like it made some new friends, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you made it to Pennsylvania and are enjoying ALL of your new neighbours, it looks fun. T. :)

    ReplyDelete