Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer Tomatoes


I know there has been a lot of green on the blog here lately, so I thought I'd dig around and look for something a little different.  And what says 'summer' better than juicy red tomatoes?  I wish we had been able to grow them ourselves this year, but with the move that just wasn't possible.  But since we live closer to where even the ones in the grocery store are being grown, these taste better than any I had out West, except our own.  We have been celebrating these tasty tomatoes in so many ways... tomato pie, tomato sauce, tomato sandwiches, tomatoes on the grill, tomatoes roasted in the oven, tomatoes and cucumber salad, stuffed tomatoes, and hopefully this week, tomato bruschetta

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully red!!
    Love the picture, love tomatoes in everything I eat.

    Greetingsss :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, what is tomato pie!? I wish I had a yard. I would buy one of those tomato vines they have on late night TV with the huge, juicy tomatoes. slrrrp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, you are missing out if you have never had tomato pie! It is best with the freshest tomatoes you can find.

    Start with a pie shell. Layer tomato and sweet onion slices and basil leaves.

    Mix together chopped basil and mayo and shredded cheddar cheese. Put this on top and bake! It's a super easy and super yummy summer meal.

    ReplyDelete