Monday, September 19, 2011

Beechwood Farms Flowers


Happy Monday morning, everyone!  I hope the weekend treated you well.  We had a lovely overnight visit from an uncle, though my poor husband had to work both days this weekend.  I suppose that is the price you sometimes pay for freeing yourself from a desk job. 

Last Friday I met up with a friend and her (almost) three-year-old for a nature hike at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve, which also serves as the headquarters for the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania.  There are five miles of hiking trails that are bushwhacked through the six-foot-tall flowering bushes and the neighboring woods.  I was eye-level with these pretty wildflowers when I took this shot.

3 comments:

  1. What are those called? I am seeing them all over- like bright little daisies? :) We have light purple ones here. I really need to find a place I can go walking around here other than the parking lot of my condo building! :))~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I think they are asters. At least I planted some asters last fall in my Wyoming garden and they were supposed to get tall and they had flowers that looked just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the positive feedback about your experience on our trails. We love to hear it! The flowers you photographed are New England Aster, and are native plants. I believe these are in the rain garden right in front of the farmhouse at Beechwood.

    ReplyDelete