Monday, July 30, 2012

PA to SC Roadtrip - Romney, WV


At the end of our first day on the road, and a few hours behind schedule, we arrived in Romney, WV, to visit my brother and his family.  They were having a big Fourth of July bash, so we met lots of their friends and even got to see all three kids who were home for the weekend.  My brother loves to play music, and I finally got to hear him perform live.  It was very hot, so they played as long as they could without passing out.  And we hung out outside as long as we could without passing out. 


Wyle was a champ in the heat.  She is not really used to it yet, but she didn't complain once.  But it was a good thing she had just started using the sippy cup so she could hydrate.  She did have a bit of a wardrobe malfunction, we'll say, and we were so grateful that my sister-in-law had just given Wyle a new outfit since we had left her suitcase at the hotel in town.  You can see she was charming everyone she met.  She liked Angie in particular.


I had never been to my brother's home before, so he gave us the grand tour.  He is big into gardening, and sells his produce locally at the farmer's market.  He showed us the garden closest to the house, but he has two more just as large in different locations.  He also has chickens, despite attempts from his neighborhood bear to make a meal of them all.  And he has an orchard that we didn't get to see since the sun was setting on us before we knew it.  But you can see how his house is nestled between the hills, without a neighbor in sight, just the way he likes it.  It was really nice for them to be able to play music as loud as they wanted and set off firecrackers without worrying about disturbing anyone.  As I laid down to sleep that night, I was certainly thinking about moving out into the hills.

2 comments:

  1. wow! what a beautiful lush green garden he has...and I love that it's remote. What I would give for a remote getaway right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I wish I could garden like that. Mine is suffering from the heat and drought. It looks so lush and green there! Glad you had a good visit!

    ReplyDelete