Wednesday, July 25, 2012

PA to SC Roadtrip: The Scenic Route


We meandered south from Pittsburgh on the first leg of our roadtrip, taking the turnpike for just a short while before abandoning it for more scenic byways.  I had mapped out what appeared on paper to be a tedious route, full of unneccesary turns and road changes, and I was sure we would be lost at some point in the day.  We were on the way to visit my brother and his family in West Virginia, and the possible routes to get there seemed endless.  I strung together an indirect route so we would pass through forests and along lakes.  It really turned out to be a treat for the eyes, ranging from rolling farmland to dense woods, always following the contour of the hills in this area.  We saw beautiful barns and old rusting vehicles as well as small towns and remote homesteads.  What I wanted more than anything was for this drive to be relaxed, one where we would see interesting things and have time to stop and enjoy them.  So often we are in a hurry to reach our destination, when what we want is to enjoy the journey.  I was fortunate that both Mom and I had the time to spare, so we just planned for a long, slow trip so we could enjoy each others' company and of course savor Wyle's first long vacation.  I'm so glad we did.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely Shots V, as always :)

    It must have been so amazing to have your Mom and Baby all on a road trip together, 3 generations :)

    I'm with you on the slow road trip, I love them!

    Adorable shot of Wyle, cute hat too :)

    Have a lovely Evening, cheers, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such a pretty landscape! Sounds like you had a great time :))

    ReplyDelete