Saturday, January 5, 2013

Bennie's Oak Tree


Hello, everyone!  I hope you all have had a wonderful start to the new year!  I was in South Carolina for it, visiting my parents and my great grandpa who was also in town.  We had a wonderful time, Wyle especially, though it was a short trip.  My husband has been helping me gather some of my family history online, and while we were in the area we documented what we could.  My dad of course remembers how the area looked a half-century ago, and who lived where.  My favorite thing that he showed me was where my great granddaddy Phillips lived, or Bennie as everyone called him.  He was such a well-loved figure in the area, and again and again we came across newspaper articles and photographs that evidenced just how much his family and community valued him.  He lived in the old one-room schoolhouse in Cordesville free of charge, for much of his life, and though the building no longer stands, Dad took me to visit the piece of land he lived on.  There is a large oak tree that Dad said everyone used to park under, and it is cleared out underneath it still like you could do the same.  It is a beautiful, unruly tree, with spindly limbs draped with Spanish moss, and it meant so much to me to see it.  It's not much, by way of physical link to the past, but I like to think of this tree as a permanent thing, connecting my family's past to its future.  I hope it still stands when I take Wyle to see it some day.

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

    That is such a beautiful story and what an amazing tree, with the moss too! :)

    I LOVE the photo of Wyle, how sweet and so grown up, you definitely captured the wonder so beautifully :)

    I'm sure she had some idea what Xmas was all about with everyone around :)

    Have a lovely evening, cheers, T. :)

    ReplyDelete