Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Carrie Blast Furnace


This past weekend I had the pleasure of photographing the historic Carrie blast furnace complex here in Pittsburgh.  At its peak, it produced 1,250 tons of iron a day, though it has been closed for more than 30 years.  The technology is from the 1930s, and is the last remaining example of this in existence.  It is being preserved as part of the Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area, which is working to create a 38-acre national park on the site.

To learn more, visit the Rivers of Steel site.

I was there for several hours and took a lot of photos, as you may imagine, but I think this one is my favorite.  It could be any old warehouse, but I like the balance of light and dark in this one especially. 

I'll be back with more images from the Carrie furnace soon!

2 comments:

  1. Did you have to get special permission to go in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Relyn,
      Yes, I went as part of a photo tour, though you can also do informational tours of the site, as well.

      Delete