Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Boardwalks of Old Santee Canal Park



While I was back in South Carolina I paid a visit to Old Santee Canal Park, a place near and dear to my heart even if it gives me the heebie jeebies to walk on boardwalks only a foot or two off the swamp. I used to come here all the time as a teenager.  I would cut a trail through the woods from my house to this place, back when I was not so afraid of snakes and such.  Once here, I would run these boardwalks that crisscross the swamp where the nation's first canal was dug in the late 1700's.  It is a quiet place where you will see more alligators than people, as well as egrets and turtles and snakes.  Yes, there is a boardwalk through the marshy bits, but as you can see the plants nearly reclaim the trails and there is always the sense that the swamp is closing in on you.  It is both terrifying and thrilling.

8 comments:

  1. Oh so Scary but so Beautiful :)

    Coming from England where the scariest thing is a Drunken Football Hooligan, lol, I am always a little cautious out in the Pacific N.W. forests (bears, wolves, cougars, snakes etc. ) but who can resist the forests beauty :) T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every inch of the US wilderness seems to have something that wants to eat you!

      Delete
  2. enchanting! I'm not a fan of snakes at all, but I LOVE to see gators, and just the lush vegetation in the swamp lands. Nick and I really enjoyed biking through some areas like this around Savannah...hoping to get back to that after baby is here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like fun, Heather! Bri loves to bike with Wyle in her little bike seat. I am sure it will be a wonderful family activity for y'all. As long as those snakes stay hidden :)

      Delete
  3. It looks like a lovely place and from your photos I can really imagine the eerie feeling of being in this quiet place in the swamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristina! I am glad that feeling conveys in the photos. You see other folks sometimes, but mostly you feel very alone here.

      Delete