Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Back to September



It is somehow November already.  But we need to go back and revisit September for just a moment. It was truly beautiful.  As a kid, I remember my mom being allergic to Goldenrod, and as a result, I just hated it.  But many years removed from that, I have to say I now find it beautiful.  Which is good, because Pittsburgh is covered in it in the late summer and early fall.  There is a field of it at Beechwood Farms, where I love to go and take photos, though you can't get a feel for just how vast it is from these pictures.  It is like a sea of gold, and the bees just buzz from bloom to bloom, forming a collective cloud of activity that hovers just above the plants.  It's so pretty, and so alive.  I tried to get a few shots of the bees, but Wyle, who was in the backpack, did not want to sit still, so those didn't work out.  But I hope you get an idea of just how lovely it was.  Amid the goldenrod there are tangles of other wildflowers, like in the first shot, making pretty vignettes that break up all the gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment